Moroccan Lentil Soup with Chickpeas is a hearty, comforting, tasteful soup perfect for every occasion. This one-pot soup is a healthy lunch or dinner option.
Tips to Remember
Here are some tips to remember while making this delicious soup:
- Soak the dry lentils and chickpeas overnight in water. This will help them cook more evenly and prevent them from becoming mushy.
- You can add more spices to this soup for additional flavors. Also, you can increase or decrease the number of spices to your liking.
- Use a Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot for cooking the soup quickly and easily. Add all the ingredients to the pot and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Let the soup sit for at least 10 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
- You can add vegetables like butternut squash, carrots, kale, and spinach for a vegan or vegetarian touch.
Can you make harissa at home?
Yes, you can make harissa at home. To make harissa, start by roasting red peppers over an open flame or in a preheated oven until the skin is blackened. Remove the skins from the peppers and then combine the peppers with garlic, cumin, olive oil, and lemon juice in a food processor or blender.
Blend the ingredients until they are smooth, and then taste the mixture to adjust the seasonings as needed. Once you are happy with the flavor of the paste, transfer it to a jar or container and store it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
There are a variety of things that you can serve alongside Moroccan spiced lentil chickpea soup:
- Plain yogurt/sour cream: plain yogurt helps balance out the soup’s spices, whereas sour cream adds a slightly tangy flavor.
- Rice: serve the soup over rice, which soaks up some broth and makes for a heartier meal.
- Green salad: green salad with lemon dressing pairs well with the soup and rounds out the meal.
- Bread: Flatbread, naan, garlic bread, cheese buns, etc., also pairs beautifully with this dish.
Can you make Moroccan Lentil Soup in advance?
This soup can be made in advance, stored, and reheated when ready to eat. Making this soup in advance will allow the flavors to meld together and create a deeper flavor. You can make and store the soup for up to two days in the refrigerator. When ready to eat, simply reheat the soup on the stove until it is hot.
Moroccan Lentil Soup
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped
- 2 tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic sliced
- 2 stalks Celery chopped small
- 2 Carrot chopped small
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes optional
- 3 1/2 cups Diced Tomatoes approx 5 tomatoes
- 4 cups Organic Vegetable Broth 1 cup Dry Red Lentils washed
- 14 fl ozs Chickpeas 1 can, washed
- 1 1/2 tbsps Harissa
- 2 cups Cilantro chopped
- 1 pinch Sea Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Cumin Seed
- In a large pan add the olive oil and onions and cook on medium heat for 7-8 minutes until soft and browning.
- Add in the garlic, celery, carrot & salt. Stir to combine and cook for 2-4 mins. Add the spiced and stir until the veggies are coated.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and allow them to soften a bit. Add veggie stock, lentils, and harissa. Simmer with lid on for 10 minute then with the lid removed for 10 more minutes.
- Add chickpeas and stir in. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cilantro and lightly stir. Top with additional cilantro.
- Divide into bowls and enjoy.