Sous vide cooking is a popular technique that has been around for decades but has recently gained more attention among home cooks. The process involves vacuum-sealing food in a plastic bag and cooking it in a precisely controlled water bath at a lower temperature for a long period of time. The outcome is perfectly cooked meat that is evenly cooked throughout and retains its natural flavors and juices.
Sous Vide Round Roast
- 4 lbs. round roast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat your Sous Vide water bath to 135°F (57°C).
- Season the round roast with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Place the seasoned roast in a vacuum-sealed bag and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to the bag.
- Vacuum-seal the bag using a vacuum sealer.
- Place the bag in the preheated water bath and cook for 24 hours.
- Once the cooking time is complete, remove the bag from the water bath and remove the roast from the bag.
- Preheat your oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Heat a skillet over high heat and add a tablespoon of oil. Sear the roast in the skillet for about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Place the seared roast in the preheated oven and roast for an additional 5-7 minutes until the exterior is nicely browned.
- Remove the roast from the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.